Rescue Dogs for Adoption

Hello. My name is Tam. I live in Orange County, and I rescue dogs. This is my blog on my rescue dogs. They are looking for new homes. If you know anybody who is looking for a dog, please let them know about my blog. You can e-mail my posts to your friends by clicking an e-mail icon below each post. Please spread the word about rescued animals. Pets are always available for adoption at local animal shelters, too. Please always think about adopting first when you look for a pet.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Misaki was almost my dogs' friend. Good job, girls!

Misaki is doing fine at her new home.

There are a couple of more videos of Misaki and my dogs while she was here so I will post them here.

Misaki fetching a toy



When she first came to our home, she was shaking. We wondered if she was scared or cold.
The shaking stopped on the 2nd day already.
By the middle of the 2nd day, she had started gathering the soft toys in the house and nesting up.

There was still tension between my dogs and Misaki. They looked as if they would snap at each other if anybody made a wrong move, so I had to watch them closely.
They did actually snap once but I was right by them I could stop them quickly.

She kept adjusting to living with us quickly and we didn't see any shaking anymore.




By the 5th day, they had stopped worrying about the others and started opening up to each other.
In the video above, Anko, our wimpy German Shepherd mix, tries to get Misaki to play with her.

It's amazing. Once they understand the other dog is not a threat, they invite him/her into the pack immediately.
If we had had more time with Misaki, she would have started really interacting with my dogs, especially with Anko.

When you introduce a new dog to your other dogs at home, give them at least 4-5 days to decide whether they are compatible or not.
Watch them closely during this transition period as most likely they will snap at each other and fight. It's perfectly normal because they don't know each other yet, and that's how dogs express themselves. After a few days they will get used to having the other around, and start interacting, and possibly playing. This is what I have learned from my experience.
Do not give up on a new dog in only one day!
Way too soon!

On Misaki's adoption day, we took her to ICARE's adoption event to hand her to her new family. We put her in the crate while we waited for the adopter's arrival.
Misaki started shaking again.
I'm sure now she doesn't remember shaking in the cage or crate, or at the shelter, ....and never needs to.

2 comments:

  1. We changed her name to Sachi :) and she's doing GREAT. Check out her new blog at http://sachitheshiba.blogspot.com or you can also follow her on Twitter @SachiShibaInu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Thank you for your post! Sachi is such a nice name, means happiness, and it sounds like the famous Hachi, too! I enjoyed her pictures on your blog. Thank you for finding her and giving her a permanent home. I'm sure you will all be VERY HAPPY together!

    ReplyDelete